Monday, October 19, 2009

Cheapest Canon PowerShot SD780IS12.1 MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD (Black)


I've had my SD780IS 'digital elph' for about a month now and generally am pleased with it. It certainly won't be the last camera I buy, but should serve me well for now. The camera is smaller than my cell phone which is it's greatest feature. Unfortunately, the camera itself will get you more oooooh's and aaaahhh's than the photo's it takes. It's compact and lightweight but still has a nice big screen. It also has a standard viewfinder that is so small it's pretty much useless. The camera is also pretty stylish, albeit pretty girly. I got a better deal on the silver model. If you paid more to get the red one you are much cooler than me.

Strong points - Lot's of shooting modes, quick and decent AUTO mode, allows user control of all variables if desired. Lot's of options regarding flash, self timer, etc. Image stabilization seems to work under the right circumstance, like portraits, but it's only nice to have because the small camera is hard to hold still, and it seems to increase recycle time. Continuous drive was a must for me. I think it's .8 fps without the flash, which makes it far easier to get good shots of kids, animals, and sports. Decent optical zoom. Takes really nice macro shots and allows for digital zoom macro. The video feature also takes macro. The video is some kind of HD, I don't know much about it but they do look nice full screen. The audio comes in loud and clear usually, but sometimes I think I'm hearing the camera in the video. The image viewing mode is nicely done, with more options than I'd ever need. Quickly looking through for a particular shot is no problem. Generally sturdy construction.

Weak points - Probably the single most important feature has me a little disappointed. Image quality is good, but is not amazing or fantastic. Other reviews suggested that Canon's 10 MP cameras capture better images. I have found this one to be fine for average stuff, but I usually am taking 3 or 4 shots at a time hoping that one or two of them won't be washed out or overly grainy, even on AUTO. The small size also makes it hard to hold and get a steady shot. I have not tried all of the shooting modes but the ones I have tried are pretty decent. The kids and pets one is not nearly as good as it was on my old fuji camera, the macro and digital macro is good, the fireworks mode is pretty good if you hold it still, landscape and night portrait also seem decent. Don't get me wrong, it still takes good pictures that are acceptable for a small pocket point-and-shoot, but don't be fooled by the 12 MP rating and think the pictures are going to know your socks off.
Not very many video options, and even if they are HD, don't expect too much because the focus is not very impressive. Once you begin recording, the focus locks and you must keep your subject in focus by moving the camera. Not archive quality for the family christmas, but good enough for some high quality you-tube fun. I've really been enjoying the video feature.
Clunky controls. I've been using this thing almost daily for the past month and the controls still have me confused. I push the wrong button pretty much every time. The small icons on the buttons don't do much good.
My only complaint about the frame is the rinky dink battery door. One good drop on the ground and that door is a goner, but the camera does have a wrist lanyard.

All in all I am pleased. Mine was in the neighborhood of two-twenty, and I would lay out more than that for it.
Get more detail about Canon PowerShot SD780IS12.1 MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD (Black).

No comments:

Post a Comment