Saturday, October 17, 2009

Canon PowerShot SD780IS12.1 MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD (Black) Right now


I wanted a camera that I could carry in my pocket to shoot HD video of my daughter's graduation. I looked at those pocket camcorders, but when I found I could get a tiny Canon that would shoot HD video and was also a regular camera, that sounded more versatile to me. I have owned several Canon digital cameras before, and have always been happy with them. After reading reviews of this one, I had two concerns: Would it be so small that it would hard to operate with my average-sized male fingers, and would such a small device have adequate image quality? After using it at the aforementioned graduation, I am happy to say that neither one of those concerns was a problem. It has a quality feel and is VERY small, actually a bit shorter than my iPhone 3G, about the same width, and only a little bit thicker. But it is very easy to operate. It fits easily and comfortably in both my pants pocket and shirt pocket, but I bought a small cellphone case that fits it very nicely, so I can also clip it to my belt.

I have a couple of suggestions for anyone who might want to use this camera for video: First, I wasn't sure how much memory card capacity I would need, so I went ahead and bought 2 16G SDHC cards. Good move! I filled the first one up before the end of the ceremony, and was able to quickly swap in the second one. The thing I didn't consider, though, was battery life. I got a low battery warning even before I filled up the first memory card. Fortunately, there were two parts to the ceremony, and during the break I was able to find an outlet to charge up the battery. In general, I like the small rechargeable battery that comes with its own charger, but it would be good to have a second charged battery on hand. Another idea I had was to screw a mini tripod into the bottom to use as a handle. That worked out very well. It made it easier to shoot over the heads of the people in front of me, and was probably more comfortable too.

In summary, I'm completely satisfied with this camera. The image quality is more than adequate for my needs, and I love the small size. Get more detail about Canon PowerShot SD780IS12.1 MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD (Black).

No comments:

Post a Comment