Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Discount Canon PowerShot SD780IS12.1 MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD (Black)


I have no idea of how long this little ELPH will endure heavy use. And there is always the chance that it will get dropped, bumped real hard, or ruined by getting wet.

I already own the Canon PowerShot A580. With 8MP's and all its features, I think it is a little miracle of technology. And yes, I still prefer using it over the PowerShot SD780 IS ELPH that I am reviewing here. The A580 fits my hand better, has a 4X Zoom Lens with a f2.6 - 5.5 aperture, and the viewfinder is easier to use. The lens is superior to the ELPH in that the ELPH has only a 3X Zoom f3.2 - 5.8 aperture lens.

But as far as image sharpness, color quality, and portability, you simply cannot find a better choice of point and shoot camera than this ELPH. Someday maybe, but not yet. I won't even go to the toilet without it. It is nothing to carry. And the photographs are truly superior for a point and shoot camera.

The problems with the ELPH as a point and shoot camera is that it is too small to handle with real proficiency. In fact, without the lanyard (wrist strap) attached, it is sure to be dropped most every photo session. And, while my A580 came with the lanyard attached,the ELPH lanyard was loose in the box. I guess the assembly people just couldn't attach it. I had a devil of a time feeding a little flexible wire through the recessed metal loop that was part of the camera frame. I just have to hope that that is strong enough to keep the lanyard attached.

Some reviewers have called the ELPH viewfinder useless. I can use it, and I do use it for quick shots. This brings up anther subject. The time from when I press the shutter release until the shutter actually opens is a hindrance to action shots. But I am amused to look at the television through the cameras video screen. The rectangle in the viewer (when the camera is set to recognize faces) keeps shifting each time the television cameras switch from person to person or group.

I have not had time to do much with the HD movie function. I may have use for it to document some family events, but if I want to shoot a session for uploading to the net, ordinary digital will be less of a hassle and will do just fine. I have never tried to sell even a short movie, but I have sold a lot of still shots made with point and shot cameras.

Of curse no point and shoot camera will ever replace my Canon Digital Rebel XT. But the XT, with or without all its accessories, is too cumberson to carry around everywhere I go. I now use it only when I am going out expressly for a formal photo shoot. Someday I may upgrade it to another Canon Rebel.

The PowerShot SD780 IS, Digital ELPH, is a good camera to have in your pocket when that unexpected photo opportunity presents itself. I'm sure mine will pay for itself several times over.Get more detail about Canon PowerShot SD780IS12.1 MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD (Black).

No comments:

Post a Comment